I love my new cloth diapers! They come in adorable colors-- I chose the clementine (orange) and the Zinnia (pink). They are so trim and look so much like disposables. The only difference is you throw them in the washer and dryer after each use-- and I'll NEVER run out of diapers! Whoohoo!
The inside of the diaper is SO similar to a disposable. It's 2 thick, absorbant layers of organic cotton that are attached to the diaper-- so no stuffing, no liners, etc. Just snap on the diaper and you're ready to go! These diapers are also available with velcro tabs, but I like the snaps better. Wow, I'm realizing that I sound like a sales lady...I guess this is just something that I have been researching for 5 months now so I like sharing what I've learned.
So, yesterday I found out that the cloth diapers I want are being discontinued, therefore, they are on sale! Apparently, Cotton Babies (the company that makes Bum Genius) are releasing a new product today that is bigger and better than the type of diaper I originally wanted. That's all good and well by me, but I wasn't about to pass up a fantastic deal on the old diapers! Plus, I figure the new diapers will be on back order for a while and will be pretty pricey at first. Anyhoo, so I decided to buy a bundle pack of the Bum Genius 3.0 One-Size since Cotton Babies was running a buy 5 get 1 free sale. Plus, I had a coupon for 5% off so I thought I got a pretty good deal!
I also bought a few cloth diapers from a local baby boutique here in town-- pictured above. They are different than the bundle pack (b/c they have liners built in, have snaps, and are organic) I bought online and are much more expensive. I wanted to show them to Josiah before I bought the ones online so he could see if he REALLY wanted to do cloth. He liked them a lot and agreed that we should buy a few each month to space out the initial investment.
I really wish more people would be open to the advantages of cloth diapering instead of just writing them off as disgusting and too much work. If you really take the time to research you will find that there are a lot of myths out there about cloth, such as:
Myth #1: cloth diapers are too much work.
--I can understand this argument if you are a working mom, but if you stay home with your baby it is one of the best ways to save money for your family! It really isn't a big deal to throw in a few extra loads of laundry a week. The Bum Genius can go in the washer AND the dryer, just like normal laundry...and you use half the detergent of a normal load of laundry!
Myth #2: cloth diapers are too messy
-- With the new technology that is out nowadays, they really aren't any messier than disposable diapers. The only thing that is different is once the baby is on solid foods you have to dump the poop in the toilet, but the lining of the cloth diaper is microfiber so the poop literally just shakes off-- no poopy hands or rinsing required! Breast-fed babies have poop that is water soluble, so you just throw those dirty diapers straight in the wash and they come out good as new. In between washes you just use a lined rubber trash bin (you can get them at walmart) with a lid and once the bin is full you take the bag out and empty all the diapers straight into the washing machine. No big deal! For times when you are on vacation, on the go, have a diarrhea baby, or even just for night use-- you can use disposable diapers. You will still end up saving THOUSANDS of dollars by using cloth. Even with coupons or generic diapers, disposables will still end up costing the average couple $1600- $2500 in 3 years. Cloth diapers cost around $300 for the total investment.
Myth #3: cloth diapers are too bulky
-- not anymore! Once again, with all the new technology cloth diapers are trimmer than ever and have a comparable fit to disposable diapers.
Some benefits of cloth diapers:
-- help prevent diaper rash (parents who cloth diaper consistently report that diaper rash is a non-issue for them)
-- less blow outs (blow-outs are pretty much non-existent for babies who wear cloth)
-- super absorbent, which could mean less diaper changes!
-- save tons of money
-- eco friendly (not a big concern for me personally, but I thought I'd just throw that on the list)
-- no chemicals on your baby's sensitive little bum bum!
-- never run out of diapers, just go wash a few and you're good to go
-- can be reused for additional children, which means you save even more money!
Anyways, I'll get off my soap box now. Hope you enjoyed my review on cloth diapers. I'll keep you all posted once we start using them with Greenlee. We plan on starting her once she weighs 10lbs :)
This entry was posted
on 1:13 PM
and is filed under
Cloth Diapering,
Our Travels
.
You can leave a response
and follow any responses to this entry through the
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.

Just wanted to post that I do Rite Aid, CVS, and Target diaper deals and pay almost nothing for my Pampers, Huggies, and Luvs diapers. I have maybe spent $500 the past three years for all my 3 kids (the past 3 1/2 years!). The number is only that high because early on with my daughter I didn't use coupons every time.
So just for all the mom's out there who still want to use Pampers. You can. And you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to do it.
That's my soapbox.
Hi Joanna! I also am a big couponer, but I am not at the level yet to where I have learned how to get diapers for THAT cheap. My friend is an avid couponer and still pays around $45 a month for diapers. For our family, we have decided that the time it would take us to look through all the Sunday deals, clip coupons, search the internet, and drive to the store to get the best diaper deals, we could have thrown in a load of cloth diaper laundry. So, it just makes the most sense to us. Thank you for your comment!