Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Cloth Diapers!!  

Posted by: Jenna in ,


Yes, it's true, Josiah and I are considering using cloth diapers instead of the conventional disposables. I have been researching the pros and cons of cloth diapers since I first found out that I was pregnant, and so far I am feeling pretty confident that they can save us a good deal of money in the long run (under $300 vs. $1500+ from birth to 2 years). What I've decided to do is add half a dozen of the diapers to our baby registry, which should be enough to do a "trial run" and see if we like using them or not. We have chosen to try out the Bum Genius brand, pictured above. They come in all different colors and have an adjustable snap system, which allow the diaper to grow with the baby. Just one single diaper will fit an infant from birth all the way to 35 lbs. So, we could get away with buying a dozen diapers and using those same diapers from the time Greenlee is born, until she is potty trained...AND reuse them for our next baby. Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. The one downside is having to wash diapers every day or every other day. But, to me it would be worth it to save a few thousand dollars! Currently, my mom has stocked us up on enough disposables to last us the first 3 months of Greenlee's life (can you tell she is not too fond of the cloth idea?), so we will use those up first, and then start her on the cloth diapers. Grandma Jane will be so proud when she reads this post-- she cloth diapered all of her children! But, thankfully, cloth diapers have come a long way in 27 years and they are much more high-tech now! They even have disposable/flushable liners which we plan on using. You can check those out on my Amazon wishlist.

This entry was posted on 3:22 PM and is filed under , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

Sweet, Jenna!! The trial run is a great idea. And it's also great that your mom (love your mom!) got you enough disposables to last through the newborn phase when they go through a bajillion diapers a day. A basic guideline that I've found to be true with Ezekiel is that for part-time cloth diapering (part disposable, part cloth), 12 diapers will do, and for full-time (few or no disposables), 24 is a good number. Even with our 24 we are doing laundry at least every other day, sometimes every day. And the one sizes are great, aren't they?! We don't use the liners b/c *some* disposable liners can block septic systems, and the cloth liners can be bulky, but either way liners probably won't be necessary til you start solid foods with her, and you will see what you do and don't need for your precious special Greenlee! The ONLY downside I've encountered with all this is that if I'm at all sick or nauseated, the whole process becomes a bit (ok, very) burdensome. But, that's what husbands are for. :) I too am pretty excited about cloth diapering! Yay!

Post a Comment