Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Inexpensive Cloth Diaper Alternatives  

Posted by: Jenna in

I must admit, most of the cloth diapers we have purchased so far are on the expensive side, ranging from $15-$25 per diaper. But, as I have found through further research, there are cheaper, quality alternatives that can make the initial investment of cloth diapering much less expensive. Here are a few less expensive brands that I have read tons of reviews on and seem to work just as well as the pricey cloth diapers. I will probably purchase some myself once Greenlee is here and if we find we need a few extra diapers in our stash.

Tweedle Bugs One-Size diaper w/Snap closure. Retail at Kellys Closet: $12.95

As you can see these diapers come in adorable colors and all the reviews I have seen out there are extremely positive. No leaking, no wearing down in the washer, etc. One-size means that they fit babies from birth to potty training through a unique snap system that expands the diaper as the baby grows. I plan on purchasing at least one of these diapers in the future.
Econobum One-Size diapering system. Retail at Kellys Closet: $9.95 for 1 cover and 1 insert. $8.95 for cover only.

This diaper is made by the same company who makes Bumgenius, Cotton Babies. It is only available in white. It is composed of two parts: the cover, which is the white outer shell, and the insert, which is just a thick piece of fabric that fits into the diaper and holds all the pee/poo. Instead of changing the entire diaper at each changing, you simply do a quick wipe down of the cover and replace the soiled insert with a fresh insert. Once the baby goes #2, then you replace the cover as well. At first I was very turned off by this type of diaper (seemed too complicated), but with further research I have become more intrigued and plan on trying a few of these types of diapers with Greenlee. You only need a few covers and a dozen inserts to last you 2 days, so you spend less money investing in this type of system. I currently own 1 Econobum and I'm excited to try it out. Oh, and it also fits babies from newborn to potty training.
Flip diapering system. Retail at Kellys Closet: $13.95 for cover, $16.95 for cover and insert.

This diaper is also made by Cotton Babies and is basically an upgraded version of the Econobum. It functions the same way with the removable insert and the reusable outer shell. It comes in lots of fun colors and also has flaps in the front and back of the diaper (see pictures) to help keep the insert in place. I currently own 3 of these diapers and I have 3 inserts for each cover. Basically, 1 cover and 3 inserts is the equivalent of 3 diaper changes (depending on how often your child has a BM). So, if your child only needs 6 diaper changes a day you could get away with 2 covers and 6 inserts which would cost you $49 at Kelly's Closet (you can buy these diapers in a starter kit which is a better bang for your buck than buying all the covers and inserts separately).
Kawaii One-Size diapers. Retail at Kelly's Closet: $9.95

From the reviews I have read on this diaper, it is very comparable to the Bumgenius 4.0 diaper. It has velcro closures and fits babies from birth to potty training. Like the Tweedle Bugs shown above, this is a One-Size pocket diaper, which means that the inserts are placed underneath the top layer of the diaper into a hidden pocket. It looks very much like a disposable diaper. At each diaper change a new diaper is required because the top layer of the inside of the diaper is made of fabric (fleece, suedecloth, etc), and cannot be wiped off like the Flip or the Econobum, which have a plastic-like interior surface. Once again, I have seen excellent reviews on this diaper, but it seems there are very few retailers that sell this product. I have only seen them for sale at Kelly's Closet and 1 other retailer. I plan on purchasing a few of these diapers for Greenlee in the future.

*also, a side note on snap versus velcro closures-- it is simply a matter of preference. Velcro seems to be easier for dads, daycare, grandmas, etc to use...but doesn't always hold up in the wash as well as snaps. Snaps tend to be better in preventing little ones from taking off their diapers themselves and if you want something that is going to hold up better in the wash.

So, as you can see, it does not have to be super expensive to start your cloth diaper stash. You can have a complete (12-24 diapers) stash of any of these diapers for under $200, which will last you from birth to potty training. With the Flip and Econobum, your investment would be under $150 because you only need 4-6 covers and 12-18 inserts. Hope this helps anyone who is considering cloth diapering on a tight budget!

This entry was posted on 10:04 AM and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

2 comments

very, very, very, very useful!!!!!! Thanks for putting together all your findings! as I told you before I´m doing my research too and I was looking at the econobum and the flips and thought they were a very good buy.. now that i´ve read your post I feel more comfortable going ahead and buying some. And YES! there´s like a lot of information out there and you really don´ñt know where to start.. Thanks!

Make sure if you decide to buy your diapers at Kelly's Closet that you use the Free One-Size promo codes. You can find a list of all the codes at RetailMeNot. Usually a minimum purchase of $25 is required, but if you buy 1 Flip day pack you get free shipping plus a free one-size diaper (with the promo code)! That's a great deal! And, if your purchase is going to be over $100 you can split your order up into two $50 orders, get free shipping, and use 2 different free diaper codes. So you'll get everything you ordered plus 2 free diapers! Even better deal!!

Post a Comment